Jun10Monday: 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
Moving Beyond the Snapshot!
Introduction To Composition
This four-week class on composition is designed with one purpose in mind: to guide you from taking “the snapshot” to creating visually stunning photographs, no matter how new you are to photography!
What’s the difference between “that’s a nice picture” and “wow, what a beautiful photograph!”? In a word, composition. By drawing the viewer into our photographs, we engage them on a deeply personal level and share the story with them. This hands-on class walks you through the basic principals of great composition! Sign up now and see immediate improvements in your photography.
Participants will be given an assignment each week based on that week’s lesson and share the image through the class’ Flickr group.
What You Will Learn:
- The two changes to make that will make immediate improvements
- Basic terminology
- Primary composition rules
- The four elements used in composition
- Creating relationships between the elements to tell a story
- Preventing and removing clutter
- Blurring the background (shallow depth of field)
- In-camera framing and cropping
- How B+W or color affects the image
- Creating mood and emotion in the image and for the viewer
- The different effects of horizontal and vertical orientation
- How light and shadow are used to create composition
- Developing the critical eye
Who Should Sign Up?
This is a foundation class in composition and is open to anyone and everyone who wants to improve their basic photography skills. The type of camera that you use is irrelevant.
About the Instructor:
Rob Domaschuk is a professional fine art photographer and instructor. He’s been teaching the foundations of good photography for over seven years and teaches topics ranging from introduction to photography to the business of wedding photography, from basic and advanced composition to social media and blogging for photographers.
Rob is one of the “three guys” who record Polarizing Images – a semi-weekly podcast dealing with the art and philosophy of photography as well as the founder of Shoot Hybrid – a site dedicated to advancing hybrid imaging and photography.